Dr. Shimei Pan received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Columbia University. Before joining UMBC, Dr. Pan was a research scientist at IBM Watson Research Center in New York. Her primary research interests are Large-Scale Social Media Analytics, Text Mining and their application in Human Behavior Modeling. She is also interested in human-centered text mining and intelligent interactive systems. Dr. Pan has authored 80+ peer-reviewed papers in major international conferences and journals. She has also served on various technical program committees for major international conferences (e.g., ACL, EMNLP, IJCAI, IUI, CIKM and RecSys). She was the program co-chair of 2015 ACM International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces. Currently, she is an associate editor of ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TIIS).
- We are organizing a workshop on “AI and Computational Psychology” at a joint workshop session of IJCAI/ICML/AAMAS 2018 in Stockholm in summer 2018.
- Our paper on “Automated Detection of Substance Use-Related Social Media Posts Based on Image and Text Analysis” won a best student paper award at IEEE ICTAI 2017.
- Our paper on “Multi-View Unsupervised User Feature Embedding for Social Media-based Substance Use Prediction” was accepted by EMNLP 2017 (Aug. 2017).
- Our paper on “Analyzing and Preventing Bias in Text-based Personal Trait Prediction Algorithms” won the IEEE ICTAI 2016 C.V. Ramamoorthy Best Paper Award (Nov. 2016).
- Gave a talk at National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) on “Social Media-based User Behavior and Trait Analysis for Drug Abuse Research” (September. 2016)
- Our paper on “Personalized Emphasis Framing for Persuasive Message Generation” was accepted by EMNLP 2016 (August, 2016)
- Gave a talk at Bloomberg LP Data Science Seminar (July 2016)
- Gave a talk at the CS department of Columbia University (July 2016)
- My former student Yi Yang presented our paper at the IJCAI Sister Conference Best Paper Track (July 2016)
- Presented an invited paper at AAAI 2016 on “What’s Hot in Intelligent User Interfaces” (Feb 2016).
- Our paper on “Using Personal Traits for Brand Preference Prediction” was accepted by EMNLP 2015 (August 2015)
- Our paper on “An Uncertainty-Aware Approach for Exploratory Microblog Retrieval” was accepted by IEEE VAST 2015 (TVCG track) (July 2015)
- Our paper on “Expertise Signals for Public and Enterprise Social Q&A” was accepted by ICWSM 2015 (March 2015)
- Our paper on “User-Directed Non-Disruptive Topic Model Update for Effective Exploration of Dynamic Content” won “best paper honorable mention” at IUI 2015! (March 2015)
- Gave a keynote at the 4th Interactive Visual Text Analytics workshop in Atlanta (March 2015).
- Our paper “User-Directed Non-Disruptive Topic Model Update for Effective Exploration of Dynamic Content” was accepted by IUI’2015.
- Phd student Tao Ding received UMBC GSA student research grant. Congratulations! (Nov. 2014)
- Gave a keynote speech at the ACM CIKM’14 workshop on Interactive Mining of Big Data. (Nov. 2014)